Home > DC NIGHTCLUBS AND NIGHTLIFE GUIDE > Public Bar
Post Date: June 06, 2011
Public Sports Bar Washington, DC
- Venue Type: Sports Bar, Restaurant, Lounge
- Estimated Size: 400 people
- Amenities: Rooftop, kitchen, 40 TVs
- Cover Charge: None
- Hours: Sun: 11am – 2am, M – Th: 4pm – 2am, Fri/Sat, 11am – 3am
- Dress Code: Casual
- Age Requirement: 21+
- Location: Midtown
- Address:1214 18th Street Washington DC 20036. (202) 223 2300
- Website: www.publicbardc.com
- Atmosphere: The king of DC sports bars. What was once the wildly popular Club Five has now been artfully transformed to a sports lover’s paradise. There are so many TV’s and projectors it’s like the walls themselves are coming at you in high definition. Multiple floors provide bar, lounge and rooftop settings to watch your team(s). Public is the choice for NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, boxing, UFC and NCAA events in DC. Sundays in the Fall and the month of March are especially nuts! Public is a serious nightclub as well, with DJ’s spinning dance and top 40 on the weekends. Hungry? This DC sports bar offers a varied menu and a great selection of beer including a monthly rotation of 4 regional drafts.
Upon entry, you’ll immediately notice epic quotes from sports legends painted on the walls. Gretzky, Jordan, Ali and more. It sets the tone for the best sports bar in DC.
The first floor at Public contains booths, tables and enough HDTVs to satisfy anyone’s sports-viewing needs. Above is a spacious lounge overlooking the main floor, and above that is a sizeable roof!
The first level, which is really the second floor of the building, houses a kitchen, booths, tables and to the right opens up into a loft style bar area with at least 20 TVs showcasing everything from NBA to CONCACAF to UFC. The U-shaped bar allows patrons to view any number of games no matter where they stand. The atmosphere is laid back and definitely jovial.
The main room at Public features over 20 televisions and a massive projector. Beyond the bar is booth/table seating. Above is a spacious lounge with VIP-style booths and a view of the main floor TVs and project. Above everything is a 2-sided roof with 2 bars, more televisions and possibly a grill? At least we smelled grilling, which was pretty awesome! Public’s rooftop is an extremely popular spot to hold corporate happy hours!
- Happy Hour: M – F, 4-8 and all day Thursday feat. $2 Dom, $3 Imp, and $4 Rails.
- Monday: $5 stadium burgers
- Tuesday: 1/2 price wings (10 or 20)
- Wednesday: 1/2 price appetizers, $4 Svedka cocktails 8pm – close
- Thursday: $5 wraps
- Saturday & Sunday: $2 PBR, $3 Miller Lite, Beer Tubes $30-$35, 10 wings $.25 ($.25 for each additional 5 wings) & $5 Stadium Burgers! Special ends at 10pm
NFL, Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers
NBA, Washington Wizards
NHL, Washington Capitals
MLB, Washington Nationals
NCAAF, Iowa Hawkeyes
English Premiere League, Manchester United
Latest Updates from Public
Photo Tour: 1st Floor
Photo Tour: Lounge
Photo Tour: Roof
Beyond the exit sign is another bar and more booths. Public’s roof is deceptively large!
What do YOU think?
How was your DC nightlife experience with Public? Share your feedback below!
The owners of these venues often read and reply. Your thoughts will be taken seriously if they are honest and constructive. If you had a bad experience, explain what could be improved. If you had a great time, explain what made it great.
Feedback that does not fit within these guidelines will not be approved.